Four in a Row for Miller Homes Summer of Sport Campaign
Local sports clubs across the country are in with a chance of receiving a cash boost as Miller Homes launches its popular Summer of Sport campaign for the fourth consecutive year.
Following on from the success of the initiative during the past three years, the leading housebuilder will once again be inviting local sports clubs to take part in a competition which could see them win £500 or, for the first time, pick up a top prize of £1,000.
To take part, entrants have to say in no more than 200 words why their sports club is worthy of winning, how the money will benefit the club and what it will be spent on.
Chris Endsor, Chief Executive of Miller Homes, said: “Over the last few years we’ve been delighted with the success of our Summer of Sport competition and particularly the impact receiving the prize money has had on the winning clubs.
“We have been really impressed with the diversity and standard of entries from those clubs who’ve taken part previously. As a result we will be extending our support this year for those in our communities who are providing opportunities for sport, education and development by awarding an overall prize of £1,000 to one of our six regional winners.
“We strongly encourage anyone with an affiliation to a sports team or club to have a go, and wish all entrants the very best of luck.”
Competition judges will assess the entries on a variety of factors, including how the money will be used and how it will directly support the development and fitness of its members.
Some of last year’s winners shared their experience of the Summer of Sport initiative.
Gillian Conway, Under 17 District Coach for Perth and Kinross District Netball Club, said: “We were delighted to have won. Our coaches are very keen to develop the squad and netball within the Perth and Kinross area. This funding will be spent on new equipment which will improve agility, balance, co-ordination and speed of our athletes, and better prepare them for National Squad trials.”
Linda Tyman, Chair of Greencroft Netball Club in County Durham, said: "As a club we would like to thank Miller Homes for its Summer of Sport competition. I would urge all sports clubs in the region to get their completed nomination form in as you never know, you may just walk away with some much needed funding."
Anthony Beaumont, Chairman Trowell Football Club in Nottinghamshire, said: “Winning the Miller Homes Summer of Sport campaign has been fantastic for our club. The grant has helped no end, as it was a real battle to maintain the kits and equipment whilst keeping fees to a minimum. The money has also been used to provide various coaching sessions for around 40 children in our Soccer School and Disability Squad. This is something we would have struggled to do without the cash from Miller Homes. I would urge any club to enter this competition; the whole community has reaped the rewards.”
Heather Sampford, Head Coach at Worthing Gymnastics Club in West Sussex, said: "We were thrilled to receive £500 from Miller Homes and are very proud of Worthing Gymnastics Club for being a worthy candidate and beneficiary. The money will buy a vital piece of equipment for the gym, a versatile multi use coaching block, which will be used by all members of our club from pre-school to adult. As a community non-profit sports club we recognise the importance of working in partnerships with local businesses."
John Gibson, Leyland Lions Junior Squash and Racketball Club, said: “We were thrilled to have won the Miller Homes Summer of Sport competition in 2014 which has allowed us to invest in more equipment for the Junior Squash and Racketball Club at Leyland Leisure Centre. I set up the club to give children a chance of playing one of the healthiest sports in England. It’s fantastic we can now further develop the club which will allow more children in the local communities to get involved.”
Martin Maltby, Secretary of Doncaster Wheeler’s Cycling Club, said: “We were thrilled to win last year’s ‘Summer of Sport’ competition hosted by Miller Homes and have put the £500 to good use. We were able to provide training to Level 2 standard for our coaches and also first aid training which gave additional support to our junior members. It has made a real difference to what we could offer our youngest members and has taken the club to younger generations, securing its future for the long term. Any sports club should consider entering the annual Miller Homes competition – you never know it could be you this year!”
Details of the initiative will be distributed at a local level among sports clubs and associations; however community leaders and club managers can also pick up an entry form at any one of Miller Homes’ marketing suites across the country. To find your nearest Miller Homes development, please visit the Miller Homes website. Closing date for entries is Wednesday 31st August, giving applicants plenty of time to prepare a winning application. Terms and conditions apply.
Miller Homes operates in the following six regional areas: Scotland, North West of England, North East of England, Yorkshire, The Midlands, and Southern.
Terms and conditions:
- Competition is open to UK residents, excluding family of Miller Homes employees, agents or anyone professionally connected with the company
- All entries must be delivered in person or posted to a Miller Homes development by Monday 31st August.
- One winner (sports club) from each Miller Homes region will be selected by a panel of judges. Each of the six regional winners (sports clubs) will receive £500 cash or cheque. Each regional winner (sports club) will automatically be put forward for an overall national prize. The regional winner (sports club) selected as the winner of the national prize will receive an additional £500 cash or cheque.
- Prizes are non-refundable and not transferable. They cannot be exchanged for any alternative
- Entries will be judged on the needs and requirements of the sports club and the judges’ decision is final
- Winners will be notified in writing by Friday 11 September.
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to take part in publicity to promote the competition
- Miller Homes reserves the right to extend any dates without prior warning
- No responsibility will be accepted for any entries delayed, lost or not included in the competition for any reason whatsoever
- Promoter: Miller Homes Limited, Miller House, 2 Lochside View, Edinburgh Park, Edinburgh, EH12 9DH
Be first to know! Register or login now so you don't miss out on priority email alerts, exclusive offers and more!
- Save your amazing homes and developments
- Use our app to help find your new home
- Exclusive alerts about new homes and offers
- Plus, pre-reserve your new home online