RHS gardener helps homeowners get to grip with gardening
The kettle is on. The boxes are unpacked and your brand new home looks perfect. And then your thoughts turn to your brand new garden that may just need a little TLC along with a host of flora and fauna to transform it into a peaceful haven for you.
So, in recognition of National Gardening Week which takes place between 13th and 19th April 2015, Katherine Musgrove Garden Manager at RHS Garden Harlow Carr Harrogate, has joined forces with Miller Homes to share top tips for creating a fantastic garden.
“A blank patch of soil or turf, particularly those associated with new homes, can be a daunting prospect for any novice gardener and with the summer looming fast, quick results are often required,” commented Katherine. “But with a little thought, planning and patience great things can be achieved with striking effect.”
Katherine’s top tips include:
- Draw a rough sketch plan and incorporate everything you want from your garden – Patio area, vegetable patch, play area, grassed area, storage etc.
- Consider where the sun sets and rises and test the PH of your soil. Easy to use kits are available at garden centre’s and this will be a vital tool in choosing the right plants
- Vegetable patches are becoming ever more popular and many types are easy to grow particularly in sunny spots. And, you can become more self sufficient helping the environment and doing your bit to achieve a more sustainable lifestyle
- Try and encourage wildlife into your garden too especially on new home developments. Choose plants that bees and birds will enjoy and also consider providing bird and bee homes
- Choose as many bulbs as you can afford and plant during autumn. They are easy to care for and in spring you will have a riot of colour.
- Above all – enjoy! Gardens are a joy to be treasured not a chore. It’s about finding what works for you.
“Whether you have a window box or an acre or two, a lovely open space stacked with flowers or a grassed area and a patio to relax in at the end of the day, a well tended garden is something of an English tradition,” said Steve McElroy sales director Miller Homes Yorkshire. “These top tips from Katherine show that with a little time and consideration we can all achieve a few things in our gardens whether they are a blank canvas or one that needs refreshing.”
Miller Homes currently has nine developments across the region and has properties available from two bedroom contemporary apartments to five bedroom executive homes. Prices start from just £89,995. Further information can be found by visiting www.millerhomes.co.uk
RHS Garden Harlow Carr is located on Crag Lane, Harrogate, HG3 1UE and is currently open each day from 9.30am – 6pm.
Be first to know! Register or login now so you don't miss out on priority email alerts, exclusive offers and more!
- Save your amazing homes and developments
- Use our app to help find your new home
- Exclusive alerts about new homes and offers
- Plus, pre-reserve your new home online