Just ask....

Family Game


House Buying Process FAQs

Can we reserve a property before it is released for sale?

No, you cannot reserve a property before it is released for sale. However you can advise the on site Development Sales Manager of your interest in a particular plot. We can then let you know once the plot is released for sale.

Do I need to make an appointment to visit the showhome or sales centre?

If you would like to discuss something with the Development Sales Manager it would be wise to make an appointment in case the sales centre or showhome is busy. You can make an appointment via this website, please use the 'book an appointment' facility on any of our development pages. Otherwise please feel free to visit our sales centres anytime during opening hours.

Do you offer assisted move packages?

We do have an assisted move package 'MiMove' which is available on some of our developments. Please visit the sales centre on your development of interest for more details.

Do you offer Part Exchange?

Yes we do on selected plots and developments. Swap your old house for a brand new Miller home with our Part Exchange scheme and take the uncertainty and stress out of moving. There's no chain, or any estate agent fees and you’ll receive a fair offer based on an independent valuation. 

It really couldn’t be easier, speak to one of our Development Sales Manager to see if the plot you are interested in is included in the Part Exchange scheme.

How do I reserve a new home?

Visit the development you are interested in purchasing a property on and speak to the Development Sales Manager there. The Development Sales Manager will confirm the price of the property and advise whether it is still available for purchase. They will ask you a few questions to ensure you are in a position to reserve a property.

Your reservation fee reserves your new home, unless you are using online reservation.  If you complete an online reservation we will hold your home for 72 hours, in which time you must visit the development to attend a reservation meeting and confirm your reservation.

During this reserved period your new home will be withdrawn from sale and it will not be subject to any price increases. We will then ask you to exchange contracts and pay a deposit on exchange (usually between 14 and 28 days after reservation). This reservation fee and deposit are then deducted from the price of your home.

Meeting deadlines:
If you have any problems meeting deadlines please inform us immediately. We will do our utmost to accommodate delays but regrettably we may have to put your home back on the market if you are unable to meet your exchange deadline. However we can sometimes arrange for you to have first choice of future releases.

How long will our property be reserved for?

The property will normally be reserved for 14 days in Scotland and 28 days in England as this is when conclusion of missives / contract exchange is expected to take place.

How much money is required as a reservation fee?

We usually require £250 as a reservation fee for properties up to £150,000 and £500 as a reservation fee for properties priced between £150,000 to £500,000. We ask for a £1,000 reservation fee for properties over £500,000.

How much of a deposit will I have to pay?

You are expected to pay a deposit when you exchange contracts on the property (usually 14 days after reservation in Scotland and 28 days after reservation in England). The deposit will vary, it is usually between £1,000 and £2,000 in Scotland and approximately 10% of the property value in England.

Is my reservation fee refundable?

Should you cancel your reservation then Miller Homes will retain a proportion of the reservation fee to cover reasonable costs and expenses, and the rest of the balance will be returned. This fee is payable at any point after the day of reservation.

Is there a waiting list for each plot / development?

The on-site Development Sales Manager usually holds a list of customers who are interested in particular plots so that all parties are informed when the plot is released for sale.

You can also sign up for automatic updates by either SMS or email by registering your details on our website or with the Development Sales Manager on your development of interest.

What documentation do I need to bring with me to make a reservation

You will need to bring 2 different forms of ID, one from each of the lists below

To confirm your identity:

  • Current signed full UK Passport
  • Current UK photo card driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Current firearms certificate
  • Building industry sub-contractor’s certificate C154 or C156 Registration Card (issued by Inland Revenue)
  • Current Benefits Agency (Job Centre Plus/The Pensions Service) benefits
  • book or original notification letter from the Benefits Agency confirming your right to benefits
  • Any Government Issues identity Certificate with a photograph endorsed

To confirm your address:

  • Current UK photo card driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Current UK full driving licence (old paper style)
  • Current bank/building society statement showing your current address (including credit card statement)
  • Current Council Tax bill
  • Current local council rent card or tenancy agreement
  • Recent utility bill (e.g. gas or electricity) or certificate from utilities supplier confirming a pre-payment agreement. Please note, we are unable to accept documents related to mobile telephones.
  • Current Benefits Agency (Job Centre Plus/The Pensions Service) benefits book or original notification letter from the Benefits Agency confirming your right to benefits
  • Most recent mortgage statement from a recognised lender
  • Current EU Member State Identity Card

What is the earliest date you can reserve a property?

The earliest date you can reserve a property is when it is first released for sale. The on site Development Sales Manager can keep you informed of plot release dates.

What security packages are available?

The security packages vary on each development, details of these will be in your development sales brochure. Please ask your on-site Development Sales Manager for further information on burglar alarms etc.

When should I insure my new home?

Your new home is insured by Miller Homes until the moment of legal completion. From then on you are responsible for the insurance of both the buildings and its contents.

Your mortgage lender will insist on building insurance. They may recommend an insurer but you should also be able to shop around for the best deals - please check with your lender on the type and amount of cover required.

Contents insurance can in many cases be included within the building insurance policy. However you can have separate insurance providers for buildings and contents. It is your choice whether to insure your contents or not.

Don't miss out! Register now to receive priority email alerts, exclusive launch invites and to book appointments online.

  • Save your favourite homes and developments
  • Plus, Reserve or Fast Track your new home online