Success For Miller Homes at NHBC Health and Safety Awards
An initiative by Miller Homes to minimise the risks posed by dust exposure from construction activities has received a special award at this year’s NHBC Health & Safety Awards 2012.
The Improved Management of Dust Exposure from Construction Activities was named Best Occupational Health Initiative.
After identifying the risk presented by dust exposure to its employees, Miller Homes has undertaken work over the last few years to develop a range of control measures and guidelines to educate its workforce on the effects of dust and how to minimise them.
Activity carried out by the housebuilder to support this has involved analysing dust exposure for priority trades, identifying and providing a range of respiratory protection for employees, undertaking ‘face fit’ testing on the majority of at risk employees across the UK, developing a range of promotional materials, hosting workshops and producing a range of essential guides for contractors.
By sharing information with fellow HBF members a greater understanding and a more consistent approach to dust control has been developed throughout the housebuilding industry. Additionally, Miller Homes has also been involved in developing guidelines for silica control in roofwork through an HSE working group and were also asked to join the CONIAC Working Group on health as the HBF representative.
Dave Hickman, Safety, Health and Environmental Manager for Miller Homes, said: “We are delighted to have received this award which recognises the work we have undertaken over the last few years to help drive standards in the housebuilding industry through a practical approach to dust control.
“Work is still ongoing, however we have set the foundation for creating a workforce that understands the risks and has access to information and support available to limit their exposure.
“We have done this by engaging with our stakeholder groups throughout the process and supporting our contractors in compliance.”
Now in its third year, the NHBC Health & Safety Awards is the only scheme of its kind designed solely for housebuilders, recognising best practice in health and safety and awarded by an independent judging panel.
The awards also recognise individuals for their role in overseeing the operation of well managed sites. Miller Homes’ employees, Garry Bowler, senior site manager at Deansleigh in Lincoln, and Dan Johnson, site manager at Ashtree Park, Sutton in Ashfield, were highly commended at the awards in the Large Builder Category, while Scott Brown, project manager, was commended for his work at Varcity in Edinburgh.
About Miller Homes:
- Miller Homes is part of The Miller Group. Since it was established in 1934, Miller Homes has built more than 100,000 homes across the UK, providing a variety of properties to meet the needs of a wide range of purchasers at all stages on the property ladder.
- Miller Homes operates in eight regions across the UK – Scotland East, Scotland West, North West, Yorkshire, North East, East Midlands, West Midlands and Southern.
- Miller Homes offers a variety of incentives, including government-backed schemes and its own schemes, to assist homebuyers in purchasing a new home.
- In 2012 Miller Homes was awarded five star rating in the National Home Builders Federation New Home Customer Satisfaction Survey and the results of independent research highlighted that 97% of its own customers would recommend Miller Homes to their best friend.
Be first to know! Register or login now so you don't miss out on priority email alerts, exclusive offers and more!
- Save your amazing homes and developments
- Use our app to help find your new home
- Exclusive alerts about new homes and offers
- Plus, pre-reserve your new home online