Date published: 15/05/2013
Leading house builder, Miller Homes, has announced plans to create almost 1,000 new homes in Glasgow over the next decade, supporting thousands of jobs in the process*.
The company has received planning approval which will see it develop a range of family homes on three new sites – at Broomhouse, Crookston and Cardowan - and build on the success of an existing development at Glasgow Zoo.
The development at Broomhouse in the south east of the city will comprise a total of 600 new homes which will be built in phases over the next 10 years. Work is due to begin on site in late summer.
Two hundred and sixty five properties are planned for Crookston Road on the south side of Glasgow, whilst the development at Glasgow Zoo will feature 60 new homes with 58 planned for the development at Cardowan on the north-eastern edge of the city, all of which will be built over the next two to three years.
Once developed, the sites are expected to generate a gross development value of around £250 million.
David Knight, Managing Director of Miller Homes Scotland, said: “Work has been going on behind the scenes for a number of years to bring these developments to fruition and with our commitment to creating family homes in desirable locations, we are confident they will provide much needed homes within the Glasgow area, helping support Glasgow City Council’s policy of preventing family drift out of the city.
“This investment clearly demonstrates our commitment to house building and confidence that the market is showing steady signs of improvement, which has been helped by initiatives such as the reintroduction of 95% mortgages to help homebuyers.
“From a wider economic perspective, we will also be supporting jobs in the city, with every new home built supporting four new jobs – two directly and two indirectly – and creating opportunities for apprentices.”
Bailie Liz Cameron, Executive Member for Jobs and the Economy at Glasgow City Council, said: “This announcement by Miller Homes is very good news for Glasgow. Firstly, this is yet another boost for the construction sector in the city following the start of work on a number of major office developments in the city centre. In addition, the building of almost 1,000 new houses around Glasgow provides much-needed opportunities for families to find a home in the city.”
Miller Homes currently has 12 live developments in the West of Scotland. For further information about Miller Homes in the West of Scotland, visit the website, www.millerhomes.co.uk.
*Information extrapolated from ‘The Economic Value of the House Building Industry in Scotland’ by Mackay Consultants (2007) and Scottish Government Housing Completion Statistics.
- Miller Homes is part of The Miller Group. Since it was established in 1934, Miller Homes has built more than 100,000 homes across the UK, providing a variety of properties to meet the needs of a wide range of purchasers at all stages of the property ladder.
- Miller Homes operates in eight regions across the UK – Scotland East, Scotland West, North West, Yorkshire, North East, East Midlands, West Midlands and Southern.
- Miller Homes offers a variety of incentives, including government-backed schemes and its own schemes, to assist homebuyers in purchasing a new home.
- In 2013 Miller Homes retained its five star rating in the National Home Builders Federation New Home Customer Satisfaction Survey and the results of independent research highlighted that 97% of its own customers would recommend Miller Homes to their best friend.
- Further information is available by visiting www.millerhomes.co.uk
Name: Marie Dunsmuir
Phone: 0870 336 5084