Our sustainability strategy, A Better Place, defines our vision for becoming a more sustainable business and sets out in detail our objectives for achieving these until 2020.
A Better Place was launched in 2013 following a fundamental review of the needs and concerns of a wide range of our stakeholders and focuses on the key issues identified during that process alongside those with greatest importance to our business.
The strategy is based on 21 economic, social and environmental actions all relating to one of four aspects – product, processes, people and partners. These actions are being undertaken through a series of short, medium and long term targets and measured against a set of key performance indicators, which will be reported on annually.
A Better Place shapes the way we approach every aspect of our work and it is being delivered through the combined efforts of every function and every employee at all levels within our business.
We are proud of our achievements in 2017:
- Awarded 5 stars for customer satisfaction in the HBF National New Home Customer Satisfaction Survey
- 93% of our customers would recommend us
- 9 Quality Awards and 2 Seals of Excellence in the NHBC Pride in the Job Awards
- 100% of construction timber sustainably sourced
- 84% of sites with sustainable drainage
- 97% of construction waste diverted from landfill
- 1,020 subcontractor companies supported
- £76m in local contributions, including the value of affordable housing delivered
- Investors in People Gold accredited
- 94% positive staff engagement
A Better Place has been developed in line with the overall business objectives of Miller Homes, with consideration given to the risks and opportunities and clear aims and objectives established.
The Sustainability Steering Group is responsible for co-ordinating delivery of A Better Place. It is chaired by the Procurement and Sustainability Director, who reports to the Miller Homes Board on all aspects of performance.
Miller Homes adheres to a number of policies, which are set out in our high level commitments and approach and, in turn, guide our procedures. Our policies include: