Find out more about Ashludie Grange
The magnificent mansion house that forms such a dramatic feature of the Ashludie development was built in 1866 for Alexander Gordon, who had a flax spinning factory in Arbroath. The superb gardens surrounding the house were reputed at one time to contain every type of tree native to Britain, as well as many other exotic species. The house subsequently became the centre of Ashludie Hospital. Monifieth is beautifully located between open farmland to the north and an attractive, sandy beach on the Firth of Tay, popular with holidaymakers, to the south. The development is around ten minutes walk from the local shops in Monifieth High Street, including a post office, a newsagent and convenience store, an off-licence, traditional baker’s and butcher’s shops and a choice of cafés and takeaways, as well as a large Tesco store. There is also a garden centre at Ethiebeaton Park, and a wider range of shops in Broughty Ferry and Dundee. Monifieth also has a Recycling Centre.
Ashludie is less than quarter of a mile from Seaview Primary, the first school in Angus to achieve Gold in all aspects of the Council’s Reading School programme. For secondary education, pupils normally move on to the highly-regarded Monifieth High School. Monifieth Medical Practice and an adjacent pharmacy are located on the edge of the Ashludie development, and there are two dental surgeries in Monifieth High Street. Train services run from Monifieth into Dundee and Edinburgh in the mornings and return in the evenings. The development is half a mile from the A92 and six miles from the centre of Dundee, and buses into Dundee city centre, Dundee Technology Park and Ninewells Hospital pass the development. The city centre is around 25 minutes away by bus, and a wider choice of services run along Monifieth High Street.